Thursday, November 15, 2012

It's a Prong Challenge and It's On!


I recently joined a new and exciting on-line group, Artisan Whimsy!
A link from Songbeads' blog brought me to a Prong Setting Challenge.
I knew this was a group for me!

 After checking out the deets I was inspired to combine the materials from my Kalmbach Bead Soup Challenge with the Prong Setting Challange. I'm pretty happy with the results!

Although I've made plenty of prong settings I followed the very nice tutoral put together by Staci Smith which is a little bit different from the way I've done them in the past. Since I was using a slice of tagua nut that was included in my Bead Soup I added a tube set cab to fill the pre-drilled hole at the top of the nut. This adds an interesting focal point, a little color and more stability to the setting.

Click the links below to see the other participants!

9 comments:

stacilouise said...

I really like how you added the tube set stone in the hole! Very nice piece!!!

Jean A. Wells said...

I love your necklace. Very creative way to fill the hole. It adds to it too, so much more than if it had been a perfect stone. I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge and some beautiful and thoughtfully creative work came from it. Great job!

Jean

TesoriTrovati said...

What a great necklace! I will have to give this technique a try sometime. You are all making it look really easy! Enjoy the day. Erin

Unknown said...

Love your piece! I agree, the tube set stone is like the icing on the cake. I would never have thought outside-the-box to think that's where a hole was in the focal. Nice clean work :)

Melissa said...

This is great and I agree, I love the tube set stone. <3 LOVE LOVE LOVE that. You did a wonderful job on this.

koko said...

Very nice! It looks so nice and clean, too (that's meant to be a compliment, btw, just reads funny!)

Anonymous said...

So innovative and pretty! Love the balance of simplicity and detail in this piece. :)

Julie Panusis said...

Love the combination of the Tagua Nut, the textured brass and the wood beads. Everyone is right about the set stone. That is the icing on the cake.

Julie

Diane (Dewdrop Designs) said...

Could you please point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do these wonderful prong settings? Thanks so much.
Diane