Saturday, January 12, 2013

Memories & Thanks Blog Hop

Razorback

Welcome to my little slice of Lori Andersons
inspired by Lori's friend Marianna.

My piece is inspired by my grandmother, Mary.
My son called her, Great-mother. Don't you love that?

Handmade brass bead, culturde freshwater pearl, 14k gold, steel

When we were young we would always spend time with my mothers family at my aunt's summer cottage on Cape Cod. We were packed as tight as sardines, but always had a great time. My uncle George, a delightful Italian import into our Celtic family, was an amazing cook and would make abundant and delicious meals for us all.

After dinner my grandmother, who always encouraged my craftiness, would walk with me along the beach to collect lots of beautiful shells. I have very fond memories of my grandmother who instilled in me the importance of being a strong and independent woman.

Detail of handmade steel clasp

The razorback bead is handmade from brass and was formed using a hydraulic press. Although the back of the bead has a brushed brass finish, I chose to leave the copper layer deposited after soldering on top. A cultured baroque freshwater pearl is hung from 14kt gold wire. The entire piece hangs from a 24" gunmetal steel chain with a handmade steel and 14kt gold hook clasp.

Click here to find a complete list of participants!



Images & Text © re-maker
All rights reserved.

20 comments:

Here Bead Dragons said...

Beautiful necklace with a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.

~cryssT

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous necklace....a lovely tribute to your grandmother. And I love the term "great mother" - how sweet :)

Alicia said...

Gorgeous necklace - and a fitting tribute to your grandmother: a strong and beautiful piece!

Cyndi L said...

What a beautiful centerpiece! Great-Mother would be very proud of you :-)

Unknown said...

We have to know where we come from to know where we are going. Great tribute to a Great-mother!

Sea of Dreams said...

Wonderful tribute to your grandmother and a lovely necklace

adlinah said...

I think your son totally got it right. You grandmother really was a great-mother. I love the simple beauty of the necklace you made.

Shai Williams said...

What a lovely necklace and beautiful memories of your grandmother.

Unknown said...

Wonderful story! Love Great-Mother! I love the strength and movement of the necklace as well as how Beautiful it is!

A Polymer Penchant said...

THis is awesome Pam! As usual you bring all these mixed elements together with such ease and continuity. I love that your son called her great-mother, that is perfection.

Donetta said...

Gosh, this is beautiful...really, really gorgeous! And your memories are so sweet; this was a wonderful post to read.

Kepi said...

wow this is so beautiful,what a nice tribute.

TesoriTrovati said...

That is simply stunning! I love that clasp you made! And the way you wove the elements together. Very classy. I would wear this in a heartbeat! Thank you for sharing your story about your 'great-mother' and your creation. Enjoy the day! Erin

Terri said...

A beautiful piece to honor your "great-mother". You are so talented. thanks for sharing your story.
Hugs
Terri G.

Karin said...

What a beautifully simple piece! Your grandmother would have been proud of your tribute.

tappingflamingo said...

love your piece!!!!!!

april grinaway said...

Love your piece ! Simple and Sweet.
Thanks for sharing.
Peace and Love.

MaryL said...

Your necklace is beautiful as is your story. Thanks for sharing.

mrs beadsley said...

what a lovely glimpse into your wonderful time at the cape - your tribute necklace is gorgeous!

Christine said...

I love your tribute necklace! Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of your Great-mother!